Dr. Stefano Barco
Medicine based on the evidence generated by randomized clinical trials is considered the gold standard in contemporary patient care. However, trials are not always the most appropriate or feasible way to address important open issues in thrombosis and hemostasis. These include the study of ´unusual´ inflammatory thrombotic diseases, long-term outcomes after venous thromboembolism (VTE), and anticoagulant-associated (bleeding) complications. In addition, new potential antithrombotic strategies and recently defined determinants of disease, such as the effects of diet and gut microbiota on thrombosis risk, are novel areas still poorly investigated and require clinical translation.
The Junior group Clinical and Early Translational Research in Venous Thromboembolism aims to expand the clinical research spectrum of the CTH and complement the Clinical Trial Professorship by setting up a working group able to host clinical research on acute VTE and anticoagulant treatment. The scientific goal of the group will be to focus on the pathophysiology and treatment of rare inflammatory (pro)thrombotic conditions as well as late VTE and anticoagulant-cassociated complications. Methodological aims will be the implementation of multistate modelling for more comprehensive time-to-event analyses and interventional studies in early clinical translation in humans adopting surrogate outcomes for confirming hypotheses generated in the CTH laboratory setting.
- Pathophysiology and treatment of rare inflammatory (pro)thrombotic conditions, such as Lemierre syndrome
- Late complications of acute pulmonary embolism and major bleeding
- Interventional early translational studies in humans
International collaboration partners
- W. Ageno and F. Dentali (Varese, Italy)
- M. Di Nisio (Chieti, Italy)
- M. Huisman and F.A. Klok (Leiden, the Netherlands)
- S. Middeldorp and M. Coppens, M. Serlie (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
- M. Monreal (Barcelona, Spain)
- C. Ambaglio and A. Pecci (Pavia, Italy)
- M. Righini (Geneve, Switzerland)
- G. Meyer (Paris, France)
Team - Junior group 'Clinical and translational research in VTE'
Stefano Barco, MD, PhD
Position: Junior group leader
Seyed Hamidreza Mahmoudpour, PharmD, PhD
- Marius Jankowski (MD student)
- Sarah Krutmann (MD student)
- Svenja Otten (HiWi)
We are looking for medical students, who are interested in clinical research and planning to prepare their Doctoral theses at the University Medical Center Mainz.
Please contact Dr. Barco for further information.
Selected original articles
- Barco S, Russo M, Vicaut E, Becattini C, Bertoletti L, Beyer-Westendorf J, Bouvaist H, Couturaud F, Danays T, Dellas C, Duerschmied D, Empen K, Ferrari E, Galie N, Jimenez D, Klok FA, Kostrubiec M, Kozak M, Kupatt C, Lang IM, Lankeit M, Meneveau N, Palazzini M, Pruszczyk P, Rugolotto M, Salvi A, Sanchez O, Schellong S, Sobkowicz B, Meyer G, Konstantinides SV. Incomplete echocardiographic recovery at 6 months predicts long-term sequelae after intermediate-risk pulmonary embolism. A post-hoc analysis of the Pulmonary Embolism Thrombolysis (PEITHO) trial. Clin Res Cardiol 2019;108(7):772-778.
- Barco S, Mahmoudpour SH, Planquette B, Sanchez O, Konstantinides SV, Meyer G. Prognostic value of right ventricular dysfunction or elevated cardiac biomarkers in patients with low-risk pulmonary embolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Heart J 2019;40(11):902-910.
- Barco S, Klok FA, Mahe I, Marchena PJ, Ballaz A, Rubio CM, Adarraga MD, Mastroiacovo D, Konstantinides SV, Monreal M, Investigators R. Impact of sex, age, and risk factors for venous thromboembolism on the initial presentation of first isolated symptomatic acute deep vein thrombosis. Thromb Res 2019;173:166-171.
- Barco S, Granziera S, Coppens M, Douxfils J, Nijkeuter M, Riva N, Vanassche T, Zhang G, Lin M, Kamphuisen PW, Cohen AT, Beyer-Westendorf J. Determinants of the Quality of Warfarin Control after Venous Thromboembolism and Validation of the SAMe-TT2-R2 Score: An Analysis of Hokusai-VTE. Thromb Haemost 2019;119(4):675-684.
- Klok FA, Barco S, Turpie AGG, Haas S, Kreutz R, Mantovani LG, Gebel M, Herpers M, Bugge JP, Kostantinides SV, Ageno W. Predictive value of venous thromboembolism (VTE)-BLEED to predict major bleeding and other adverse events in a practice-based cohort of patients with VTE: results of the XALIA study. Br J Haematol 2018;183(3):457-465.
- Klok FA, Barco S, Konstantinides SV, Dartevelle P, Fadel E, Jenkins D, Kim NH, Madani M, Matsubara H, Mayer E, Pepke-Zaba J, Delcroix M, Lang IM. Determinants of diagnostic delay in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: results from the European CTEPH Registry. Eur Respir J 2018;52(6).
- Barco S, Ende-Verhaar YM, Becattini C, Jimenez D, Lankeit M, Huisman MV, Konstantinides SV, Klok FA. Differential impact of syncope on the prognosis of patients with acute pulmonary embolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Heart J 2018;39(47):4186-4195.
- Klok FA, Barco S, Konstantinides SV. Evaluation of VTE-BLEED for predicting intracranial or fatal bleeding in stable anticoagulated patients with venous thromboembolism. Eur Respir J 2018;51(4).
- Barco S, Vicaut E, Klok FA, Lankeit M, Meyer G, Konstantinides SV, PEITHO Investigators. Improved identification of thrombolysis candidates amongst intermediate-risk pulmonary embolism patients: implications for future trials. Eur Respir J. 2018 Jan 18;51(1).
- Sacco C, Zane F, Granziera S, Holm K, Creemers-Schild D, Hotz MA, Turpini E, Valentini A, Righini C, Karkos PD, Verhamme P, Di Nisio M, Konstantinides S, Pecci A, Barco S, Lemierre Study G. Lemierre Syndrome: Clinical Update and Protocol for a Systematic Review and Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis. Hämostaseologie 2019; 39(1):76-86.
- Barco S, Corti M, Trinchero A, Picchi C, Ambaglio C, Konstantinides SV, Dentali F, Barone M (2017) Survival and recurrent venous thromboembolism in patients with first proximal or isolated distal deep vein thrombosis and no pulmonary embolism. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 15: 1436-1442
- Barco S*, Cheung YW*, Mathôt RAA, van den Dool EJ, Stroobants AK, Serlie MJ, Middeldorp S, Coppens M (2017) Pharmacokinetics of dabigatran etexilate and rivaroxaban in patients with short bowel syndrome requiring parenteral nutrition: The PDER PAN study. Thrombosis Research 160: 76-82
- Barco S, Pomero F, Di Minno MND, Tamborini Permunian E, Malato A, Pasca S, Barillari G, Fenoglio L, Siragusa S, Di Minno G, Ageno W, Dentali F (2017) Clinical course of patients with symptomatic isolated superficial vein thrombosis: the ICARO follow-up study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 15: 2176-2183
- Barco S, Picchi C, Trinchero A, Middeldorp S, Coppens M (2017) Safety of prothrombin complex concentrate in healthy subjects. British Journal of Haematology 176: 664-666
- Barco S, Heuschen CB, Salman B, Brekelmans MP, Serlie MJ, Middeldorp S, Coppens M (2016) Home parenteral nutrition-associated thromboembolic and bleeding events: results of a cohort study of 236 individuals. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 14: 1364-1373
- Barco S, Lankeit M, Binder H, Schellong S, Christ M, Beyer-Westendorf J, Duerschmied D, Bauersachs R, Empen K, Held M, Schwaiblmair M, Fonseca C, Jiménez D, Becattini C, Quitzau K, Konstantinides S (2016). Home treatment of patients with low-risk pulmonary embolism with the oral factor Xa inhibitor rivaroxaban. Rationale and design of the HoT-PE Trial. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 116: 191-197
- Barco S, Woersching AL, Spyropoulos AC, Piovella F, Mahan CE (2016) European Union-28: An annualised cost-of-illness model for venous thromboembolism. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 115: 800-808
- * indicates equal contribution of the authors
- Konstantinides SV, Barco S. Prevention of early complications and late consequences after acute pulmonary embolism: Focus on reperfusion techniques. Thromb Res 2018;164:163-169.
- Klok FA, Barco S. Follow-up after acute Pulmonary Embolism. Hamostaseologie 2018;38(1):22-32.
- Barco S, Konstantinides SV. Pulmonary Embolism: Contemporary Medical Management and Future Perspectives. Ann Vasc Dis 2018;11(3):265-276.
- Barco S, Konstantinides S, Huisman MV, Klok FA. Diagnosis of recurrent venous thromboembolism. Thromb Res 2018;163:229-235.
- Huisman MV, Barco S, Cannegieter SC, Le Gal G, Konstantinides SV, Reitsma PH, Rodger M, Vonk Noordegraaf A, Klok FA. Pulmonary embolism. Nat Rev Dis Primers 2018;4:18028.
- Barco S, Konstantinides SV. Optimising the personalised, risk-adjusted management of pulmonary embolism. An integrated clinical trial programme. Hämostaseologie 2018
- Barco S, Konstantinides SV. Risk-adapted management of pulmonary embolism. Thromb Res 2017;151 Suppl 1:S92-S96.
- Barco S (2016) Edoxaban for pulmonary embolism with right ventricular dysfunction. The Lancet Haematology 3: e405-406
- Konstantinides SV, Barco S, Lankeit M, Meyer G. Management of Pulmonary Embolism: An Update. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2016;67: 976-990