- THE DEPARTMENT OF CARDIOTHORACIC AND VASCULAR SURGERY is recognized internationally as a Center of Excellence in the fields of cardiac, thoracic and vascular surgery.
- THE DIVISION OF CARDIAC SURGERY provides - in close cooperation with the Departments of Cardiology and Pediatric Cardiology - the latest diagnostic technologies and up-to-date management of aquired and congenital heart diseases.
The Division evolved into a major referral center for cardiac valve repair and replacement, correction of congenital heart defects in infants and children, and also for coronary artery bypass surgery with and without extracorporal blood circulation.
The Division has extensive expertise in the management of diseases in the aorta, particulary of aneirysms in the ascending or descending aorta and the aortic arch, as well as aortic dissection and trauma.
- THE DIVISION OF PEDIATRIC CARDIAC SURGERY offers treatment for all forms of congenital heart disease in every age group from newborn to adult. Close collaboration with the Departments of Pediatric Cardiology and Intensive Care Medicine ensures a comprehensive service ranging from diagnosis to surgical, pediatric interventional, as well as combined therapy. The children are treated in the Children's Hospital, one of the most modern of its kind in Germany. Special care is taken to make our young patients and their parents feel comfortable in rooming-in care facilities.
- THE DIVISION OF THORACIC SURGERY is devoted to the management of patients with a wide range of diseases of lungs, airways, the chest wall, and mediastinum. Particular expertise is available for the treatment of lung cancer and end-stage pulmonary disease. Active programs are in place for pulmonary thromboendarterectomy, lung volume reduction surgery, and lung transplantation.
- THE DIVISION OF VASCULAR SURGERY has an outstanding expertise in cerebro-vascular and peripheral vascular reconstruction modalities. The Division is well known for transfemorally-placed endoluminal grafts for abdominal aortic aneurysms and extensive thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repairs. Special emphasis is given to complex lower extremity arterial reconstructions for limb salvage, especially in diabetic foot syndrome.
The Department with its different Divisions is equiped with the latest technology.
The entire spectrum of services are offered to out patients in a brand-new clinic with comfortable accomodations in bedrooms with only one or two patients, each.
The friendly staff is trained to serve each individual patient and his/her needs.
Address for contacts:
Prof. Dr. C.-F. Vahl, Chairman and Director
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery