Multidisciplinary care of all patients with early and advanced breast cancer as well as gynecologic cancer is provided by the certified Breast- and Gynecological Cancer Center of the UCT. In 2014 we performed surgery of 249 patients with primary breast cancer and 82 patients with primary gynecological (e.g. ovarian, endometrial) cancer. Altogether, we treated 680 patients with chemotherapy, endocrine therapy or antibody therapy.
The rate of study participation was 20% for breast and 21% for gynecological cancer in 2014. In this respect, we contributed to landmark studies like PALOMA-1 which led to the approval of palbociclib in advanced breast cancer (Finn R.S. Lancet Oncol. 2015) and examined the efficacy of adecatumumab, a therapeutic anti-Ep-CAM antibody, in early clinical trials in advanced breast cancer (Schmidt M. Annals of Oncology 2012). As a partner of the UCT Cancer Immunotherapy Program, we substantially contribute to the IVAC (Individualized Vaccines Against Cancer) MUTANOM phase I clinical trial in triple-negative breast cancer patients.
The scientific focus of the Breast and Gynecological Cancer Program is on the identification of prognostic and predictive factors. We demonstrated that immunoglobulin kappa C is a beneficial prognostic (Schmidt M. Clin Cancer Res. 2012) and predictive (Denkert C. J Clin Oncol. 2015) biomarker in breast cancer patients. We identified markers of inflammation like C-reactive protein or cyclooxygenase-2 as a negative prognostic marker in node-negative breast cancer (Sicking I. BMC cancer 2014). Our achievements in gene-expression profiling of prognostic markers were crucial for the development of the EndoPredict© test (Filipits M. Clin Cancer Res. 2011) as an example of a successful bench-to-bedside project. This gene-expression based prognostic test for estrogen receptor (ER) positive and human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 (HER2) negative breast cancer patients is commercially available since 2011. Its prognostic significance has been shown to be superior to traditional tests using sole clinic-pathological variables (Dubsky P. Br. J. Cancer 2013).
Most significant publications
- Denkert C., G. von Minckwitz, J.C. Brase, B.V. Sinn, S. Gade, R. Kronenwett, B.M. Pfitzner, C. Salat, S. Loi, W.D. Schmitt, C. Schem, K. Fisch, S. Darb-Esfahani, K. Mehta, C. Sotiriou, S. Wienert, P. Klare, F. André, F. Klauschen, J.U. Blohmer, K. Krappmann, M. Schmidt, H. Tesch, S. Kümmel, P. Sinn, C. Jackisch, M. Dietel, T. Reimer, M. Untch, S. Loibl. 2015. Tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes and response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy with or without carboplatin in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive and triple-negative primary breast cancers. J Clin Oncol. 33(9):983-91.
- Finn R.S., J.P. Crown, I. Lang, K. Boer, I.M. Bondarenko, S.O. Kulyk, J. Ettl, R. Patel, T. Pinter, M. Schmidt, Y. Shparyk, A.R. Thummala, N.L. Voytko, C. Fowst, X. Huang, S.T. Kim, S. Randolph, D.J. Slamon. 2015. The cyclin-dependent kinase 4/6 inhibitor palbociclib in combination with letrozole versus letrozole alone as first-line treatment of oestrogen receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (PALOMA-1/TRIO-18): a randomised phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 16(1):25-35.
- Sicking I., K. Rommens, M.J. Battista, D. Böhm, S. Gebhard, A. Lebrecht, C. Cotarelo, G. Hoffmann, J.G. Hengstler, M. Schmidt. 2014. Prognostic influence of cyclooxygenase-2 protein and mRNA expression in node-negative breast cancer patients. BMC Cancer. 14:952.
- Dubsky P., J.C. Brase, R. Jakesz, M. Rudas, C.F. Singer, R. Greil, O. Dietze, I. Luisser, E. Klug, R. Sedivy, M. Bachner, D. Mayr, M. Schmidt, M.C. Gehrmann, C. Petry, K.E. Weber, K. Fisch, R. Kronenwett, M. Gnant, M. Filipits; Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group (ABCSG). 2013. The EndoPredict score provides prognostic information on late distant metastases in ER+/HER2- breast cancer patients. Br J Cancer. 109(12):2959-64.
- Schmidt M., D. Rüttinger, M. Sebastian, C.A. Hanusch, N. Marschner, P.A. Baeuerle, A. Wolf, G. Göppel, D. Oruzio, G. Schlimok, G.G. Steger, C. Wolf, W. Eiermann, A. Lang, M. Schuler. 2012. Phase IB study of the EpCAM antibody adecatumumab combined with docetaxel in patients with EpCAM-positive relapsed or refractory advanced-stage breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 23(9):2306-13.
- Schmidt M., B. Hellwig, S. Hammad, A. Othman, M. Lohr, Z. Chen, D. Boehm, S. Gebhard, I. Petry, A. Lebrecht, C. Cadenas, R. Marchan, J.D. Stewart, C. Solbach, L. Holmberg, K. Edlund, H.G. Kultima, A. Rody, A. Berglund, M. Lambe, A. Isaksson, J. Botling, T. Karn, V. Müller, A. Gerhold-Ay, C. Cotarelo, M. Sebastian, R. Kronenwett, H. Bojar, H.A. Lehr, U. Sahin, H. Koelbl, M. Gehrmann, P. Micke, J. Rahnenführer, J.G. Hengstler. 2012. A comprehensive analysis of human gene expression profiles identifies stromal immunoglobulin κ C as a compatible prognostic marker in human solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res. 18(9):2695-703.
- Filipits M., M. Rudas, R. Jakesz, P. Dubsky, F. Fitzal, C.F. Singer, O. Dietze, R. Greil, A. Jelen, P. Sevelda, C. Freibauer, V. Müller, F. Jänicke, M. Schmidt, H. Kölbl, A. Rody, M. Kaufmann, W. Schroth, H. Brauch, M. Schwab, P. Fritz, K.E. Weber, I.S. Feder, G. Hennig, R. Kronenwett, M. Gehrmann, M. Gnant; EP Investigators. 2011. A new molecular predictor of distant recurrence in ER-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer adds independent information to conventional clinical risk factors. Clin Cancer Res. 17(18):6012-20.