According to Section 34 of the Higher Education Act of Rhineland-Palatinate, doctoral candidates at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz are required to register, whether they wish to enroll as a (doctoral) student or not.
- If the degree that qualifies you to seek the PhD was received in a foreign country, you will need to have it recognized first by the International Admission Office.
- When filling out the online form for acceptance as a doctoral candidate, you will need to specify the topic and supervisors of your dissertation. You must then print out the finished form and sign it.
- Once the form has been signed by you, submit it to the TransMed Office for Doctoral Affairs along with any other documents necessary, e.g., degrees, transcripts, Certificate of Recognition (if necessary), university entrance qualification, etc.
- If you have fulfilled all of the requirements, the TransMed Office for Doctoral Affairs will issue a written confirmation that you have been registered as a doctoral candidate. The date of this confirmation will count as the beginning of your doctoral studies. Once you have received the confirmation, the registration process is finished.
- If you wish to enroll as a student in addition to registering, you can indicate that on the registration form. After the TransMed Office for Doctoral Affairs issues the written confirmation of acceptance, the application (along with any other necessary documents) will be forwarded to Student Services. They will contact you with any further information regarding enrollment as a student. If you enroll, you will have all of the privileges of a student (semester ticket, student voting rights, etc.) as well as the duties (paying semester fees).
- If you successfully complete the doctorate, break off your studies, register at a different university, or have your acceptance rescinded, you will no longer be registered at JGU Mainz.